Friday 25 November 2011

A few things to ponder

I've been doing a spot of reading this week and have stumbled across a couple of interesting things. Firstly, I came across a £2 to £1million challenge blog (http://quizknight.typepad.com/bettingmillionaire/). I'm not normally that interested in this kind of thing but this one took my fancy, mainly due to the appealing betting plan (http://quizknight.typepad.com/bettingmillionaire/progress-table.html) - nothing too complex but you know how it goes; it looks like a piece of piss when it is set out in 19 easy steps. So I think I'm going to give it a whirl, see how it goes. It's very similar to the 86p challenge I did a while back and I enjoyed that immensely, so this one should be a bit of fun too. It's (horrendously) unlikely that I will succeed but I will only begin a new go at it once a week, meaning a maximum loss of £2 per week. Saying that though, I'm not in the business of chucking my money away, so I will be cheating (is it even cheating?) somewhat. I will look at trading my selections in order to be a bit safer, and I will also maybe go below the evens boundary, though I'll try and stick arouunndd the evens mark. I'll post my selections weekly before the games if I can so you know I'm not cheating, not that I would anyway; claiming to be a millionaire when I'm not would be not only sad but extremely depressing.

Secondly in my findings, I discovered an interesting idea on Sports Trading Life called 'The Mug' (http://sportstradinglife.com/2011/11/the-mugs-premier-league-tips-19th-november-2011/), some of you may have seen this before. Bascially what the guy is doing is betting on who he thinks will win every week, as well as which side of the 2.5 goal line it will be, in order to see how effective it is. In this case, however, he is hoping that the selections over time will produce negative returns, so that he can just lay the games he picks. I've always thought how often the market is wrong, and in future I might start doing a similar thing of just laying the market's opinion on certain games.

Lastly, a shameless plug for myself as I have restarted my old blog (http://goalnineteen.blogspot.com/). I'm going to try and update it at least once a week with general footi related stuff so give it a look, tell your friends yada yada yadaaaa. Any link exchanges will be appreciated to get the blog up and running.

This week's trading has been a bit of a nightmare and as a result I have temporarily suspended myself from it. Monday kicked it off as I traded the Spurs game and made a loss of about £28. Tuesday was the killer though, as I took my total loss for the week up to £98.43 - my worst ever, and my first losing week since I began. This all came about because I made a number of fundamental errors and chose to disobey my rules. Firstly, I bet on my team - Man United - and did so whilst watching them, two awful errors and all three of my trades on the game were losing ones. I made a number of losses on some other Champions League games too and I was betting far more than my usual amounts, hence the bigger losses. I'm not really sure what caused this loss of discipline but I think it was mainly due to my desperation for Tuesday to be a big night profitability wise. I will take the rest of the week off and re-evaluate my losses to try and prevent a repeat occurrence. The P+L sheet shows a £46 loss on the winner of Group A also, but this was from a long time ago but was only settled on Tuesday. I took a punt on City to win it before the competition started but they have strangely failed to impress in Europe. I'll let them off though as I still have a £300 green all-round on the Best of the Rest market thanks to them. Good luck to you all, hope you have a good weekend.

1 comment:

  1. ouch, looks like it got a bit messy for you there pal. Been following for a while so keep up the good work.

    Got my act together and started my own blog so added u to my blogroll.

    Hope you can do the same?

    http://thebettingcrunch.com/

    ReplyDelete